Last Forum Posts
Guild Summary

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wembikaze
In-Game Rank 1

re: Memo To Blizzard

Position, position, position!

The Real Estate mantra.
I’ll tell you something- when we finally get player housing in World of Warcraft ( ha, zif! ) I probably won’t be setting up home in Westfall.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s a beautiful zone. Sweeping farmland, wide open spaces, undulating hills overlooking breathtaking ocean views. There are a few properties already there that could be snapped up cheap before the potential of the zone is fully realised. Real fixer-uppers.
I’m sure the Cataclysm will hurt the marketing potential of the area, but come on! You just can’t beat those ocean views! Don’t let a little oozing lava bring you down!
Sure, there is a little riff raff around, but I ask you- where in Azeroth isn’t there? They’re only a few teenagers and petty thieves, and I’m certain that a strict program of zero tolerance from the militia in the keep will clean them up in no time.
Once we get the school back in order in Moonbrook and get a few café’s and cute little bric-a-brac shops going there, it will be a great little town to browse through on a Saturday morning. You could stop for a coffee and pastry, or even a nice big bacon and egg breakfast before a stroll through the township. (just don’t venture too deeply into that last building on the left).
Still, with all this untapped potential and opportunity, I for one will not be settling in Westfall without an iron (dwarf) clad contract of sale.
Why?
Because I have absolutely no faith in the construction companies of Westfall!
Come on guys! You’ve been working on that inn for nearly five years now!
It’s a standing joke amongst most alliance world of warcrafters that no matter how slowly they level, at least they’ll hit level cap before the Westfall Inn is finished.
It’s a joke that has been tellable three times now through three different level caps.
So, this leads into my “memo to Blizzard”…

MEMO TO BLIZZARD

Hey Blizzard, seeing as you want to stay at the leading edge of innovative gaming, how about you bring in a living environment for us to play in?
Regards, Wemb.

Phew, that should sort it out!
What I’m talking about is not even phasing, its just about letting the story and lore flow on through the environment as well as the questlines. Its not even something that is any harder than say the Darkmoon Faire.
I’m not talking new fresh ongoing storylines even, just little developments here and there that make the world feel like it is not standing still. Not stuff that ruins quests or impedes gameplay.
It may even be a way that Blizzard could bring in a sort of public questing.
Let me use the grand Westfall Inn to illustrate my point.
When we come to the game, we are greeted with the sight of the dilapidated inn half built (or half ruined). Of course the innkeeper is inside doing her best to stoically carry on business as usual.
Out side there are many workers at a sort of lumber mill style area and big lengths of lumber on the ground. Well I want their union conditions, because that is the state of play still, five years later!
What if every week, patch, whatever, the situation changes slightly in a way that implies an ongoing problem yet also implies a living breathing world?
The innkeeper would still be there, there would still be “some” kind of shelter which you could receive resting xp from, and log out from.
The next time you arrive, the innkeeper is in a makeshift tent right next to the building and there is a bit more roof and a guy up there hammering and yelling he needs more lumber or something.
The next month she is back inside, the roof is on and a guy is painting the outside.
The next month or patch, the back wall is demolished. There are soldiers from the keep surrounding the wall that is down. Every two minutes a wave of four or five gnolls comes charging around the corner to attack them. Make it a fifty fifty fight and if the gnolls finish off the soldiers they will run up the hill to certain death at the hands of the soldiers up there.
There is already a similar situation in the blood elf starting area where mobs randomly attack a defended position.
So you get the idea with the inn. Maybe now and then when they build it again they put it in a slightly different position, like over the road where those couple of traders are. The point is that you are building a story of the area, it is not just a one dimensional canvas.
In big cities like Stormwind, perhaps the traders and trainers go through the same process, maybe you mess with folk to change traffic flows. One day you roll into the Auction house to find that there has been a fire and it is out of use, but a kind officer there tells you that you can use the temporary Auction house they have set up in the dwarven district. Maybe some of the shops go broke and are replaced by a different sort of shop. Its stuff that happens in real cities and if it happened in WoW it would feel more real.
In smaller places, maybe the village could do an Ahn’Quiraj style drive, where if you donate enough mats you unlock a new vendor.
So come on Blizzard! With the next expansion lets have a new level of dynamic world where things actually change in a small way to keep us on our toes!
If anyone wants me, I’ll be at the lighthouse off the Westfall coast, I’m gonna refurbish it and offer tours when the boom comes. Just gotta get rid of this pesky ghost!
Wemb.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pants On Head Forum Index -> News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: